Saturday, March 30, 2019

Critical Self Reflection Of Social Work

Critical Self animadversion Of Social fieldAs feminist writer Starhawk said, Only when we sleep with how we puddle been shaped by the structures of magnate in which we live just nowt joint we become shapers (Staehawk, 1988) It is essential for forevery participant of well-disposed activity to admit our own complex accessible mendings, complaisant position, and identities. By acknowledge how these factors be processed, we could under hold what privilege we has hold and what oppression we atomic number 18 posit in put to improve our capacity for social work and act anti-oppressively in our daily life.Features of Social LocationsOur memberships argon interactional, they be come into existence in and through relation to atomic number 53 an early(a). (Ringrose, 2002) Knowing what futures of our social locations ar and how they are consolidated and changed by each other could improve the depth of our self- sentiency and model us be critical.People usually ask me ince rtitudes closely my nationality, location of home town, and my occupation when we start a conversation. Therefore, roughly of time I am identified as a female student who comes from a ontogenesis country of Southeast Asia. Broadly speaking, the reason why these questions return been asked unremarkably during our communication is because of these social location have a same indication which has a huge impact on our behaviors, accents, appearances. In the other words, they are visible and audible for people to recognized and identify. However, compare with these social locations, my governmental affiliations, religion are more difficult for others to indentify due to the abstraction of these social locations that make them relatively invisible and inaudible. The influence of these social locations are ideological. They have constructed our ideology, social norm and even have shaped our individuality. My social locations are mixed, I am an oppressor while I am oppressed by othe rs. Understanding these features of my social locations could garter me to aware the privileges, powers, and in legal expert that these social locations have been bought to me and to keep off these unfair privilege, power over and subjective feelings of in arbiter , in evidence to share power with others and practice anti-oppressively in daily life. put across of Identity from SocietyAs Aristotle has tiered out in his book Politics, valet de chambre is by nature a social animal, (Stagiritis, 2000) human be eternally has demand to connect with others in come out to gain a whizz of belonging in society. They have been self-locating, identifying others and being identified base on their experience, education, religion, race, gender and more elements of society during their connection which means that our complex identity have been constructed by these elements.As an individual with multi-dimensional identity, I have been authoritative various societal kernel in my daily life . Some of these messages are relate to my cultural background while close to messages relate to other elements. I moved to a capital city which named Kunming from Shilin (a small town of southwest China) when I was young, for the send-off few days in my impertinent school I have a bun in the oven the traditional Yi costume as what I did in my previous school in Shilin as an Yi people. However, my new classmates gave me a hard time because of I wear a dress with embroidered totem or else of wearing a rule dress as they did my teacher punish me to stand on a chair with arms extended upward in front of the entire school because I ref apply to take off my bracelet on the weekly assembly. Although I spoke fluently mandarin orange tree and had been raised in an urban intellectual family as majority had, most of students even teachers in my new school shown their unwillingness to communicate with me and use your people to separated me from them. In my recording, the difficulty to fell a smell out of belonging and acceptance ( jam, 1991) causes the feeling of being isolation, it was a societal message about my identity at that time. The message are conveyed to me by single out me bodilyly and psychologically from the majority. After receiving the message I started to refuse to wear any Yi clothes and accessories to school because the painfulness from being isolated from normal people was unbearable for me as a teenager. During that time, my identity had been adjusted by following the process which has been layed out by Smith, moving from unawareness and pretermit of differentiation to ethnic awareness and self-identification (Smith, 1991).Power and PrivilegeOur society is assorted in many aspects, such as gender, religion, age etc. These differentiations cause(s) fear, mistrust, and villainy (Uvic, 2004 ) and bring us advantage and disadvantage in our life. What is more, these differentiations have been used as justification for holding belief in the s uperiority of one way of being over another (Uvic, 2004) . We need to understand what flake of power has been embedded in our social locations in rewrite to practice anti-oppressively when we face the in friction matchity and un justice.Being a twenty-one year-old hetero versed female, I have been experienced power-from-within and power-with due to my complex social locations. As being delimit as a young people, there are various resources and opportunities out there for me when I need them such as delight resources ,education opportunity etc. These elements erect me materially and emotionally supports to help me increment personal power in order to against the oppression from society. However, I should not feel happy with this unequal advantages because this commit ageism does not provide equally opportunity for elder to take part in important social activity or exercise their capacities in socially defined and recognized ways (Muallaly, 2002) . In order to resist privilege and honorary advantage, I have been participated in a volunteer group which industrial plant with elder and to power connect with them in order decrease the influences of institutionalized ageism on elder. Meanwhile, as being a heterosexual female I have holding many invisible and visible privileges. For example, I will not be judged by people if I give-up the ghost in hand and walk on street with my boyfriend my sexual orientation will not be treated as unlawful or abnormal. There are many social constructions are make base on the assumption that every individuals sexual attractions are to someone of opposite sex. Instead of seeing these privilege as advantage, we should not further see them as social resistances and avoid power-over in our practice, but similarly respect and support all non-transitional forms of sexuality (Uvic, 2004 ) by following dun Theory. These unfair and unearned advantages will resist our society to develop comprehensively, humanely and justly and we definitely have the province to be aware of transmutation and never assume people around us.Purpose of Social pull inIt is essential for social worker to know the inclinations of this avocation because these purposes are the vigilance for us and provide clients with a constructive solution when we work with them.When I began this course, in my understanding the purpose of social work was improving the physical environment of individual as in a micro take aim and promote the justice of society as in a large level. As my learning about this calling has been processing, my ideas of social work purpose have expanded. According to purpose for this profession which is defined by The subject area Association of Social Workers, the mission is promote or restore a mutually beneficial interaction between individuals and society in order to improve the quality of life for everyone (Dubois, 2004), this profession assists individuals to create a verificatory social system that he lp clients to achieve their personal goals. Dubois and Krogsrud have mentioned about social work purpose in their book Social Work An Empowering Profession, they said social workers strived to release human power in order to ensure the well performance for individual and to release social power in order to promote social injustice. (Dubois, 2004) More specifically, the purpose in Micro level is to enhance clients ability for social functioning and to get together individuals with favorable resources. From a macro perspective, the purpose is to stimulate the development of social justice. These purposes are leading entire profession to strive to create an best society.Social JusticeSocial justice is a key point to promote the fairness and equity in our social environment. Depending on the innovation of this course, there are some elements which are necessary for social justice to exist. These elements are acknowledgment of the connections between social with politic and economy (U vic, 2004 ), awareness of social injustice, action and movement, fairness of policy, and equality of social opportunity. In order to promote the justice of social construction, I have positioned myself as a participant of social activity who has desire to against injustice and have responsibility to think critically, act anti-oppressively with belief in that everyone has right to share equal physical resources and to be benefited from comprehensive policy. However, there are might resistances stand in my way when I involve activities to fight for political justice and economic re dispersal. These resistances could be lack of resources and effect of bureaucratization. In order to avoid the resistance from these two dimensions, I should not be afraid to question the policy and speak out to let government know what is mandatory by people. Also think and act critically instead of running(a) hidebound. Bridget used her action to examine that everyone has ability to make difference in ou r society. We shall never give up our goal for working to promote justice in social system. As Ameri fundament social critic James Baldwin said, according to the way people see it, and if you bottom alter, even by a millimeter, the way people look at reality, then you can change the world.About This ProfessionSocial Work is a profession which attempts to demonstrated the interconnectedness between individual changes and social changes (Uvic,2004). To some extent, the aboriginal purposes could include unpacking the complicity both in societal structure and individual life. This profession should not position itself as an caring and help institution and hinderance in this image, this profession should stand out to reconnect the political with social (Uvic, 2004 ) and involve the economic redistrubution in order to ensure that everyone has equal worth, opportunity, and dignity in society. There are two questions I need to be answered, first question is how to act anti-bureaucratical ly in workplace and the second one is what can I do when there is no matching resources for clients. To practice efficiency, I need to get spiritual and technical supports from myself and co-worker, and people around me to point out what I did wrong. This activity from Art Journal helps me to understand myself best and help me to know why I choose this profession, it also help me to know what is boundary when I work with clients.Our society is not perfect, to some degree its awareness for diversity, injustice government policy and inequality distribution of physical resources are resisting the promotion of social justice. we have responsibility to understand clearly what our ideology perspective is and what power we have due to our social locations and identities. These could release human power and social power in order to enhance social functioning and social policy. Sometimes it is not unclouded to have the visible effect for promoting the quality of life to entire society, but it worth us to strive for and fight for. As a Chinese old saying goes No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment